How to Apply
Applications for KU's master's degree program in genetic counseling are now open. The deadline to receive your complete and paid online application is December 31, 2023 for the class entering fall 2024. You may apply using the link on this page, below.
The information presented here should help you prepare for applying online.
- Official transcripts showing a bachelor's degree conferred and successful completion of all prerequisite coursework with a minimum grade of "C" on each, and an overall minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.0.
- Three letters of recommendation.
- Resume or curriculum vitae (CV).
- Personal essays describing your understanding of genetic counseling, interest in the field and prior relevant experience.
- Please download the exposure to genetic counseling document (Word) and list all applicable experiences that have shaped your understanding of the field of genetic counseling.
- Registration for the National Match System.
National Match System Fee Waiver
AGCPD/GCEA has established a waiver for the $100 fee associated with the Genetic Counseling Admissions Match. Prospective students who demonstrate financial need AND have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or greater can apply for a match fee waiver.
Prospective students should apply for a fee waiver BEFORE registering for a match code number. Waivers are non-transferable to future match cycles and cannot be transferred by the recipient to another prospective student.
Arrange to have one official copy of each transcript from every college and university you have attended sent directly to KU Medical Center. Students are not to directly handle official transcripts. They must be transmitted directly from institution to institution.
If the institution provides electronic transcripts, please have them sent to SHPtranscripts@kumc.edu. If using the U.S. national transcripts clearinghouse, please do NOT select "University of Kansas". Be sure to select "University of Kansas Medical Center."
Hardcopy transcripts can be mailed to this address:
Office of the Registrar
University of Kansas Medical Center
3901 Rainbow Blvd.
Kansas City, KS 66160
Note: please select KU Medical Center campus location in the online application.
Partial or incomplete applications may not be reviewed.
Please submit your completed application and pay the application fee. The application fee is paid when you click SUBMIT from the online application. Applicants can pay by Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express or by electronic check. U.S. banks only. Application fees are non-refundable. Electronic checks will be held for approximately six business days while the check clears.