Clinical Supervisor (Preceptor) Resources
Resources for current and prospective clinical education preceptor partnerships and opportunities in the KU Department Hearing and Speech.
KU’s doctorate program in audiology and master’s degree in speech-language pathology welcome affiliations with new facilities that are committed to offering quality clinical experiences for KU students.
To obtain additional information about clinical education partnerships with our programs, please contact:
- For audiology: Lauren Mann at 913-588-8399 (711 TTY) or email@example.com.
- For speech-language pathology: Lindsey Heidrick at 913-588-5937 (711 TTY) or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Supervisor Requirements: Speech-Language Pathology
- At least two years of full-time clinical experience.
- Two hours CEU in supervision (one-time).
- Ethics CEU.
- DEI CEU.
- The supervisor must have CCC-SLP credential.
- The supervisor needs state licensure.
- Supervise 25% of therapy and 50% of evaluations.
Supervisor Requirements: Audiology
- At least nine months of full-time clinical experience.
- Two hours CEU in supervision (one-time).
- Supervisor needs state licensure.
The amount of direct supervision must be commensurate with the student’s knowledge, skills and experience; must not be less than 25% of the student’s total contact with each client/patient; and must take place periodically throughout the practicum. Supervision must be sufficient to ensure the welfare of the individual receiving services.
Implementation: Beginning January 1, 2020, clinical educators and clinicians who are involved in the preparation of student clinicians, and who provide guided observation and supervision of clinical practicum hours, must (a) hold the CCC-A or CCC-SLP and have completed a minimum of 9 months of full-time, post-certification (or its part-time equivalent) clinical experience, and (b) must complete 2 hours of professional development/continuing education in clinical instruction/supervision.
The professional development/continuing education must be completed after being awarded ASHA certification and prior to the supervision of a student. Direct supervision must be in real-time. A clinical educator must be available and on-site to consult with a student who is providing clinical services to the clinical educator’s client.
Supervision of clinical practicum is intended to provide guidance and feedback and to facilitate the student’s acquisition of essential clinical skills. In the case of CS, asynchronous supervision must include debriefing activities that are commensurate with a minimum of 25% of the clock hours earned for each simulated individual receiving services.
- Coordinate and supervise the student’s professional work at the site.
- Provide professional experiences in addition to direct client management that are designed to aid the student in their professional growth.
- Observe and evaluate the student in their professional activities at the site and provide feedback to the student concerning their performance on a routine basis.
- Bring any problems or concerns to the attention of the university field study coordinator as soon as possible.
- Conduct a formal evaluation conference with the student at midterm and at the end of the semester.
- Complete the field study student evaluation form documenting the student’s performance at midterm and final completion using CALIPSO.
- Submit verification of ASHA certification as requested (SLP supervisors).
- Submit verification of two CEU hours in supervision as requested.
- Be on-site always when student is providing services to clients/patients.
- Provide student supervision according to the 2020 standards and implementation procedures for the Certificate of Clinical Competence in Audiology or Certificate of Clinical Competence in Speech-Language Pathology.
- Supervision must be provided by individuals who hold a certificate of clinical competence in the appropriate profession. The amount of direct supervision must be commensurate with the student’s knowledge, skills and experience. Supervision must be sufficient to ensure the welfare of the client/patient.
- Confirm student contact hours on CALIPSO at the end of the field study experience.
Continuing Education Course Options
CAPCSD CEU Courses (free for our supervisors)
- Foundations of Clinical Education, Modules 1-5: (Supervision Course)
- Student-Clinical Educator Relationships, Modules 1-5
- Feedback in the Clinical Education Environment Modules 1-5 (ASHA CEUs)
ASHA Supervision Course Option (additional cost)
American Speech–Language–Hearing Association Resources
- 2020 standards and implementation procedures for the Certificate of Clinical Competence in Speech-Language Pathology
- 2020 standards and implementation procedures for Certificate of Clinical Competence in Audiology
- Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology (CAA)
- SLP progression of performance expectations (guideline) (PDF)
- Frequently asked questions about student supervision
Federal Government Resources
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)
- Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) Resources
The Department of Hearing and Speech is requesting our clinical supervisors complete the ASHA’s That’s Unheard Of cultural competency quiz and complete the survey below acknowledging they have completed the quiz.
KU/KU Medical Center Resources
- University of Kansas policy on nondiscrimination
- University of Kansas policy on sexual harassment
- KU Libraries social justice resources
- KU Medical Center Office for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- KU School of Health Professions: diversity, equity and inclusion
Additional ASHA Resources
The resources below are offered by ASHA and other organizations and not specifically endorsed by KU or KU Medical Center. If you have any questions regarding policy or expectations on campus, please reach out to DEI, EOAC, or compliance offices.