Skip to main content.

Frequently Asked Questions

Have questions? We've got answers! Here are answers to some of our frequently asked questions.

Please view our frequently asked questions below.

All applicants must have completed or be enrolled and on track to complete the required coursework. Individuals who have not completed undergraduate prerequisite coursework in communication sciences and disorders may be admitted if he or she has exceptionally strong academic credentials.

Not necessarily. The admissions committee will review your entire transcript, so if you feel as if you should justify an unsatisfactory GPA, please do so when answering your personal statement questions, or ask a reference to address this in his or her letter of recommendation.

All students are expected to have good command of the English language. All students that identify as non-native English speakers (regardless of country of origin) must provide proof of English proficiency. Please review the English Proficiency Requirements for a full list of the ways applicants may demonstrate proficiency.

This varies, as each admissions committee member decides how much weight to place on the various factors of the application.

KU accepts copies of official transcripts which include the school's seal. It is appropriate for copies of transcripts to have "copy" watermarks, so do not be alarmed.  We do not accept student advising reports or any transcript with the words "unofficial transcript" in the header.

It is up to you as to whether or not to include your fall semester’s grades in your application. It is not necessary since the admissions committee will have enough information to consider; however, you may wait to submit your application after grades are available. All required materials must be received by the January 5 deadline. All transcripts must be uploaded at the time of application.

M.A. SLP students have the option to start in the summer or fall. While beginning in the summer does not allow for earlier graduation, it lightens the load for subsequent semesters. Select the semester you wish to begin within the graduate application due on January 5, regardless of the semester you begin.

You must have continuous physical residency in Kansas for at least 365 days prior to the first day of class. Please reference the Office of the University Registrar’s website for the residency policy

No. The University of Kansas does not offer reciprocal tuition rates for residents of Missouri or any other state, and does not participate in the Midwest Student Exchange Program.

Unless you have an extenuating circumstance, we strictly adhere to the January 5 deadline.

Tpically, we receive more than 150 applications per year. Applicants are competing for approximately 35 seats.

Applications are viewed holistically, thus the committee considers all pieces of the application; however, we encourage you to take particular note of the following:

  • Academic performance
  • Research experience
  • Clinical experience
  • Leadership qualities
  • Problem-solving ability
  • Interpersonal communication skills
  • Evidence of diverse experiences

Yes, a student may attend part-time. The time to degree completion will depend on the number of credit hours taken per semester.

No. This is a campus-based degree program.

Students attend classes on both campuses, providing students exposure to more top faculty and the opportunity for expanded access to clinical training sites throughout the Greater Kansas City and Lawrence/Topeka areas. Students often carpool to the KU Medical Center for Monday/Wednesday class days and to the Lawrence campus for Tuesday/Thursday class days. The number of hours spent on each campus varies from semester to semester. Students are seldom required to commute between campuses on the same day. There are occasional evening classes, but most courses are offered during the day.

Some students reside near one campus, but others choose housing they feel is halfway between campuses or on major routes between campuses. Designated student parking is available on both campuses with the purchase of one parking sticker.

There is no student housing on the KU Medical Center campus. Most students live in apartments in surrounding neighborhoods and are responsible for arranging their own housing. Housing is available for students on the Lawrence campus. For more information, please see KU Student Housing.

No, not during the application process. Students are required to follow the background check procedure once accepted into the program and to complete it before enrolling in classes.

All non-U.S. transcripts must be evaluated before they will be accepted. Please see the information for international students page for more details about this procedure.

Yes. Please check the financial aid page of the program of interest for details specific to those students. In addition, please visit the School of Health Professions scholarships page.

KU School of Health Professions